Città di Castello
Mostly still surrounded by city walls dating back to the 16th century, the town of Città di Castello spreads out along the Tiber valley, on the spot where the Romans had founded the township of Tifernum Tiberinum.
After having been destroyed during the barbarian invasions, it was rebuilt under Bishop Florido and first took the name of Castrum Felicitatis and later, in the 10th century, that of Castrum Castelli.
It became a Comune during the late Middle Ages and was subjected to the rule of Perugia, to that of the Church and then to that of Florence; only in the 16th century, under Cesare Borgia, it definitely became dominion of the Papal State. Buildings which used to be the seat of administrative structures such as the Palace of the Podestà, with its baroque facade dating back to 1686, and the Town Hall, built in the Gothic style with an elegant portal and windows with two lights, testify to the ancient history of this Umbrian town.
The churches of St. Dominic (1424), of St. Mary Maggiore, dating back to the Gothic era but adorned by a Renaissance facade, and finally that of St.Francis complete the panorama of the town's religious buildings. The Municipal Pinacoteque contains works of art by Raffaello, Signorelli and Domenico Ghirlandaio, apart from others by Umbrian, Tuscan and Marche schools.
Originally an Umbrian city, it was conquered and enlarged by the Etruscans, who called it Curtun. During the 7th century BC, it joined the Etruscan League.
Cortona eventually became a Roman colony under the name Corito.
Cortona became a Ghibellinian city state in the 13th century, with its own currency. From 1325 to 1409, the Ranieri-Casali family successfully ruled the town. After being conquered by Ladislaus of Naples in 1409, Cortona was sold to the Medici in 1411. In 1737, the senior branch of the Medici line went extinct and Cortona came under the authority of the House of Lorraine. Following the Italian Wars of Independence, Tuscany—Cortona included—became part of the Kingdom of Italy.
Believed to be of Medieval origins, Montone appears in the tenth century as a fiefdom of the Margravate of Colle and subsequently of the Del Monte family. By 1121 Montone, now under the direct control of Perugia, was authorized to be self-governing under its own statutes and legal officers.
In 1414 it was given to Braccio da Montone. His family held it until the early 16th century, when theVitelli acquired it. Later in the century it was annexed to the Papal States
Often said to be one of the most beautiful small towns of Umbria.
Monte Santa Maria Tiberina
The town of Monte S. Maria Tiberina is situated in the valley of the Aggia stream, placed in a panoramic position which has made it a popular holiday destination .
The town, whose main industry nowadays is agriculture, in former times used to be the strong-hold of the Marquis Del Monte family. The buildings of major interest for the tourist in search of architectural beauty are without doubt the Castle, with is to be found in the town's center and dates back to the 16th century, and the church of St. Mary which has given the town its name, and where the remains of an antependium dating back to pre-roman times are to be found.a